Preparing Full TEI Headers
Digital Library Production Services, University of Virginia Library
Overview: This document details the steps in the DLPS
workflow for converting Virgo records to TEI headers.
Last modified: October 31, 2006
Note: This workflow requires certain software to be
installed on the user's local PC. The setup details are
The (deprecated) workflow for TEI header creation
using NoteTab is still
Review Virgo record
- To see which items are ready for Virgo record review:
- Go to the DLPS web-based tracking system at
- Under Text Workflow, click Search for text items.
- For the TEI header status criterion, select Review
Virgo record, then click the Search button.
- If there are items you don't want to review at this time,
clear the checkboxes next to the DLPS IDs for those items.
- At the bottom of the search results list, select TEI
Header and click the View Workflow button.
- For each item to be reviewed:
- Click the View images link to view the page images in the
DLPS web-based image viewer (which will open in a separate browser
- Use the Virgo ID or title control number to look up the Virgo
record in Workflows.
- Review and correct the Virgo record as needed.
Export Virgo record
- Get the Virgo IDs of the Virgo records to be exported.
- To export a single record, just select the Virgo ID
from the web page and copy it to the clipboard.
- To export multiple records, select the comma-separated list of
Virgo IDs displayed at the bottom of the page, and copy the
selection to the clipboard.
- In WorkFlows, click the "Scheduled Reports" button on the
- Go to New → Custom tab → "MARC.XML by
Item ID" → Setup & Schedule → Selection
- Paste the Virgo IDs (copied to the clipboard previously) into the
"Item IDs" textbox in Workflows.
- Click Schedule. Click OK to accept the default
settings of "Once" and "ASAP". At the prompt saying the report has
been scheduled, click Close.
- Using a web browser, go to
The name of each MARC (.marc) file listed reflects the date and time
that it was created; your file will be the last one in the list. (If
none of the filenames reflects the current date and time, wait a few
minutes and refresh the web browser.)
- Right-click the link for your MARC file and select "Save Target
As...". Make sure the Save as type: drop-down is set to "All
files" (not "Text document"). Save the file to a convenient
location. (Feel free to rename the file to something more
Make TEI header
- The script to make the TEI header (to convert from MARC binary to
TEI XML) can be started in three ways:
- Double-click the script file (marc2tei.vbs)
- OR Drag a MARC file and drop it onto the script file (in this
case the script will not ask for the MARC file to convert; the
dropped file will be converted)
- OR In Oxygen, go to Tools → External Tools → MARC to
TEI, or just click "MARC to TEI" in the main Oxygen tool bar (see
the setup instructions for details
on making the conversion script available within Oxygen)
- Several dialog boxes will be displayed. Enter the information
necessary to run the MARC to TEI conversion:
- Specify the location of the MARC binary file you saved
- Supply the DLPS ID, Virgo ID, and title control
- Indicate whether to produce an independent header (the "parent"
header for serials) or a regular TEI header.
- Specify the new or existing file to which to save the TEI XML
- The conversion script will convert the binary MARC record matching
the specified title control number to a TEI header XML file. (If an
error occurs during the conversion process, an error message will be
displayed in a dialog box and the process will stop.)
- Open the resulting TEI XML file in Oxygen.
Review TEI header
- In Oxygen, review and correct the TEI header.
- Validate the TEI XML file. If errors occur, correct them and
re-validate until the document is valid.
- Close the XML file.
- Copy the XML file from your working directory to
05teiHeader/80final in the DLPS workspace.
Update the Tracking System
- Back in the DLPS tracking system: For each step completed, check
the corresponding checkbox(es), then click the Update
- A confirmation page appears. To commit the changes indicated,
click the Update button.
1. The "Scheduled Reports" button icon is a stack
of paper with "1 2 3" on it. If not present, right-click in the
toolbar and add a button for "SCHED_REPORTS".
2. Although the custom report is named "MARC.XML
by Item ID," it actually has been changed to ouput a MARC binary file
rather than MARC record(s) in XML form.
3. Although the conversion will still run if the
DLPS ID, Virgo ID, and/or title control number fields are left blank,
the resulting TEI header will not include these pieces of
information. Also, if you omit the title control number, the
conversion program will select the first MARC record in the MARC file;
if the MARC file contains multiple records, you may end up with the
wrong bibliographic data in the TEI header.
4. The script attempts to name the output file for
you and supplies a default value. If you are creating a regular TEI
header, the DLPS ID is used as the base filename. If you are creating
an independent header, the title control number is used as the base